We will help you develop a birth plan that is structured with your individual needs and goals. Although every birth is unique there is a series of stages, that often differ in length for every woman and every labor.
- when the cervix dialates (opens) from 0-10 cm
- contractions increase in strength as labor progresses.
- when contractions increase to approximaely every two minutes and your cervix is changing you are considered to be in active labor.
- when moving from the first stage to the second stage you are considered to be in transition labor. This may cause the feeling or urge to "push" or "bear down".
- the baby's head appears at the top of the cervix
- contractions continue to get stronger and active pushing is necessary
- the baby's head will "crown" followed by the shoulders
- final stage of labor is the delivery of the placenta